Germs on unwashed hands can be transferred to other areas within the workplace, like door handles, handrails, table tops, phones or laptops and transmitted your colleagues. This can lead to sickness as they will regularly touch their nose, eyes or mouth without knowing it.
Bacteria and germs are also spread through food and drink and some germs will multiply in certain foods.
Removing germs through good handwashing can help prevent stomach bugs, respiratory infections and according to the CDC, hand washing reduces the number of sick people with stomach bugs by 31% and the number of people with colds by 16-21%.
At ServiceMaster Clean, we’re big advocates for ensuring everyone knows about good hand washing practice.
The proper handwashing practice
Follow this simple guide to good hand washing to help remove as many germs as possible…
- Wet your hands under warm clean running water
- Apply soap and create a lather by rubbing your hands together – using regular soap as opposed to antibacterial is just as effective if used correctly
- Spread the lather across your hands, onto the backs of your hands, in between your fingers for at least 20 seconds
- With soapy hands, grip the fingers on each hand, clean in the creases of your thumbs and press your fingertips into your palms to get under your fingernails
- Rinse your hands well under clean running water
- Dry your hands well on a clean towel or air dryer and make sure they are completely dry!
- Turn off the tap using your clean towel – remember your dirty hands just turned the tap on
- Dispose of the paper towel responsibly by recycling where you can
What about hand sanitiser?
Hand sanitisers are a great addition to your germ-killing arsenal! Most sanitisers do not kill all germs so they should be used as an additional resource rather than instead of a good hand wash.
With a good squirt of hand sanitiser in one palm, rub your hands together well and spread it over your hands and fingernails until it’s dry.
If you’ve experienced an outbreak of a virus in the office, you can always call on ServiceMaster Clean Contract Services to provide a deep-clean and fully sanitise of the property. Click here to find your local ServiceMaster Clean.